Established in 1959, the Department of Botany offers an undergraduate programme in Botany with Zoology and Chemistry as complementary papers. In 2001, the Department of Biotechnology was clubbed with Botany and later in 2011, it was established as a separate department . The Department of Botany has four Assistant Professors all of whom are PhD holders. The Department is also supported by a lab assistant and a herbarium keeper.
A plant conservatory with a wide variety of plant collections and a medicinal garden with medicinal plants is an asset to the Department. The Department has a rich herbarium collection from Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The Department has an ICT - enabled laboratory ,a multimedia room and a seminar hall.
The Department strives to accomplish excellence in basic and applied aspects of plant sciences.
Ms C Suju Skaria is the current head of the Department.