The Department of English is one of the oldest departments of the college and was established in the year 1949. B.A degree in English Language and Literature was the course offered and Prof. M.P Paul was the first Head of the Department. The MA degree programme in English Language and Literature was introduced in 1966. Currently the Department is a Research Centre as well, with 17 scholars working towards their PhD degrees.
In addition to teaching English language courses to all under-graduate batches, the Department takes English language courses for the MTA programme of the College. It also offers a Communicative English Course as part of the interdisciplinary Open Course.
Apart from the curriculum the Department offers courses in collaboration with other organizations. The BEC Study Centre set up in 2007, with the support of the British Council offers training for the Cambridge Business English Certificate Vantage examination. The department also conducts the Additional Skill Acquisition Programme(ASAP) of the Government of Kerala for the College. In addition to the aided courses, the Department has a self- financing wing (since 2015).
The current staff strength of the department is 15, out of whom 4 are PhD holders, and the remaining are working towards their PhD. Members of the Department function regularly in the Boards of Studies at both UG and PG levels and have been elected to the University Senate/ Syndicate.
Dr Shirley Stewart is the current Head of Department.